Guests often ask how we, personally, would like to safari. To answer that, we went back to our roots and the original idea that sparked the business nearly 40 years ago. This year, we built two new itineraries based on our co-founders’ decades of travel in Tanzania.
Judi Wineland and Rick Thomson have a preferred safari route, complete with specific accommodations, destinations, flights and activities. It’s the schedule they use when they visit Tanzania.
We turned that special journey into a regularly scheduled experience for our guests: The Founders’ Safari. It’s already becoming one of our most popular adventures.
Start in an Exclusive Nature Refuge
It’s the perfect introduction to the peace and beauty of Tanzania. The Eastern Serengeti Nature Refuge is brimming with wildlife and exclusive to Thomson travelers only. Guests also get to experience activities that aren’t offered in Tanzania’s national parks.
- Set out on nature walks through the refuge, exploring the land, viewing grazing wildlife and getting a hands-on review of animal tracks and the plant life you’ll find on the savanna.
- Meet the local people and learn about them using a special, time-tested technique – causal, authentic conversation.
- Search for rarely seen nocturnal wildlife on a night drive.
Fly to Remote Areas, Maximizing Your Safari Time
Driving from the Serengeti to Ngorongoro Crater or to Tarangire National Park is an adventure in and of itself, but flying is a comfortable luxury that provides some extra time at your destinations. Rick and Judi use internal flights to get more wildlife viewing time near camp and R&R at Gibb’s Farm.
3 Nights in Tanzania’s Top Safari Lodge
A sanctuary for the senses and a slice of paradise with “uniquely personal service [in] an idyllic, rustic setting” – people have said a lot about Gibb’s Farm. One thing is for sure: you won’t ever want to leave.
That’s why Rick and Judi round out their adventure with three remarkable nights at Gibb’s interspersed with days of wildlife viewing in Ngorongoro Crater and activities in the Ngorongoro Highlands. Spa time, world-class accommodations and adventuring in one of the best safari locations on the planet – it’s the perfect finale.
The Founder’s Safari is Rick and Judi’s personally preferred itinerary. The Signature Safari is the combination of the most popular adventures they’ve designed blended into one perfectly balanced experience.
See it All
Enjoy a thorough exploration of Tanzania, including world-renowned sites and a few of our favorite locations.
- The Eastern Serengeti Nature Refuge provides opportunities for nature walks, night drives and cultural experiences.
- Serengeti National Park presents some of the world’s best wildlife viewing, including opportunities to see the Great Migration.
- A stop at historic Olduvai Gorge, the “Cradle of Mankind,” showcases Tanzania’s unique place in human history.
- Ngorongoro Crater is the best place on Earth to see all of the Big Five in one day: elephant, African buffalo, leopard, lion and black rhino.
- Tarangire National Park hosts the largest herds of elephants on the planet and Tanzania’s extraordinary ancient baobab trees.
Enjoy Rustic Luxury and Thoughtfully Located Accommodations
Stay in Thomson’s signature Nyumba Camps, including a special site located on the eastern edge of the Ngorongoro Crater rim. Nestled in a forest of acacia trees, this camp is a guest favorite for its lush surroundings. More importantly, it provides unbeatable access to the crater, giving guests the best opportunity to enter the park before other travelers.
Afterward, you’ll head to Gibb’s Farm for a luxurious stopover after your journey through the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater.