Tanzania’s allure lies in the sheer breadth of its plains, craters, forests and rivers. It’s here that wildebeest throng, lions roam and giraffes tower over the land like sentries. There’s so much to see and so much to explore. Our new Ultimate Safari covers it all.
Grab a map and trace a line from the northern Serengeti hills to Tarangire’s Silale Swamp: you’ll visit everything in between on this immersive, expansive new itinerary.
See it all. Do it all. Leave no stone unturned on this grand two-week adventure, exploring northern Tanzania’s legendary ecosystems: the Serengeti, Olduvai Gorge, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara and Tarangire. Be on the lookout for the Big Five–lion, leopard, elephant, African buffalo and black rhino–among the wildebeest, zebra, hyena and 450+ bird species you’ll see. Finally, retire to the lush eco-lodge Gibb’s Farm for a leisurely finale to your trip.
We listened carefully to our guests’ feedback and dreams to build this itinerary: this is their ultimate adventure.
Where Do You Go on the Ultimate Safari?
- The Eastern Serengeti Nature Refuge provides opportunities for nature walks, night drives and cultural experiences.
- Serengeti National Park presents some of the world’s best wildlife viewing, including opportunities to see the Great Migration of wildebeest and zebra.
- A stop at historic Olduvai Gorge, the “Cradle of Mankind,” showcases Tanzania’s important place in human history.
- Ngorongoro Crater is one of the only places where you can see all of Africa’s Big Five in one day: elephant, African buffalo, leopard, lion and black rhino.
- Lake Manyara National Park is home to elusive tree-climbing lions and groundwater forests where hippos bathe and flamingos frolic.
- Tarangire National Park hosts the largest herds of elephants on the planet and Tanzania’s ancient baobab trees.
Two Internal Flights Maximize Wildlife Viewing Time
Flying in Tanzania is a treat. Not only do you get to skip hours of riding on bumpy roads, you get more time viewing wildlife in your destination. The Ultimate Safari offers two flights to this effect: from Arusha to the Eastern Serengeti , and from Ngorongoro Crater back to Arusha.
Experience Rustic Luxury and Lush Accommodations
Thomson’s specially designed Nyumba camps offer the rustic touches of the Tanzanian wilderness with an unwavering dedication to comfort. Queen-sized beds, freshly pressed sheets, private en suite bathrooms and private showers with hot water await in every tent.
Because these private, eco-friendly camps rotate seasonally, you never have to drive too far to find the wildlife.
Begin in an Exclusive Nature Refuge
The Eastern Serengeti Nature Refuge is the perfect introduction to Tanzania. Peace and beauty abound in these shortgrass plains where grazing animals roam and acacias cover the land. Thomson guests have exclusive access to the Eastern Serengeti, meaning you’ll have all that nature to yourself.
- Go on a nature walk, an activity that isn’t offered in Tanzania’s national parks.
- Spot wildebeest, zebra, giraffe, antelope and, if you’re lucky, elephant.
- Meet people from nearby Maasai communities and listen to a Maasai storyteller share a tale.
- Search for nocturnal wildlife on a night drive: honey badger, porcupine, hyena, civet and more.
A Two-Day Finale at a Luxury Eco-Lodge
Imagine waking up in Africa to birdsong and the serene green paradise of old-growth trees and gardens. That’s just the beginning of what Gibb’s Farm has to offer.
Nestled on the slopes of Ngorongoro Crater, Gibb’s is a historic eco-lodge offering farm-to-table dining, spacious cottages with private verandas and plenty of opportunities to indulge your senses.
Wander and watch birds in Gibb’s natural paradise, sip wine on your private veranda, hike to an elephant cave or visit a nearby village. You have plenty you can do, and the time to do it–or time to do nothing at all, if you like.