Trust in expertise
Over 40 Years in Tanzania
After more than 40 years living and working in Tanzania, we know the country’s best-kept secrets. We’ve tried it all: every campsite, meal and trail has been tested time and again to bring you the perfect safari.
To provide travel experiences of quality and integrity, and to deliver them with the highest level of service and value for our guests. In so doing, we will be socially responsible in the communities and environments where we operate, treading lightly on the land and giving back to the people who welcome us so graciously.
Our local guides know the history and secrets of the land like only born-and-raised Tanzanians could. Beyond their cultural advantage, they’re schooled in African wildlife and trained with lead guides, who boast 10 to 35 years of experience. Fluent in English, they are well-versed in our culture and are friendly, authentic and enthusiastic ambassadors of their country.
We start with the most reliable option, the Land Rover Defender, then modify it with expanded legroom and sightlines. Pop-up roofs offer 360º views while unlimited mileage means you go wherever the wildlife is—with a guaranteed window seat every day. And outlets let you charge your devices while you refuel on complimentary snacks and bottled water.
From luxurious Nyumba camps, seasonally located with the wildlife, to an award-winning eco-resort in the Ngorongoro highlands, accommodations are outfitted with queen-sized beds, handcrafted furniture and local art with all the trappings of home: eco-friendly toilets and sinks, hot showers, and solar-powered lighting. Common areas even have charging stations to power up your devices while you wind down.
We believe that tourism can sustainably support a country and its people. We meticulously review the ground operations in Tanzania to ensure responsible practices are adhered to, from hiring and buying locally to operating camps with Leave No Trace ethics and eco-friendly concepts in mind.
Recognized the world over
After more than 40 years operating in Tanzania, our name has earned its place as one of the top safari outfitters in the world with awards from National Geographic Adventure, Condé Nast and Travel + Leisure.
Thomson Safaris is proud to partner with the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF). Together, we are working to engage in conservation efforts that creatively and strategically promote programs that help African communities conserve their rich resources, including wildlife and cultural traditions.
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2021
- Condé Nast Traveller: Best Travel Specialists in the World 2021
- CIOLook Top 10 Businesswomen to Admire in 2021
- Condé Nast Traveller: Best Travel Specialists in the World 2020
- AFAR Travelers' Choice Awards: Wildlife Encounters 2020
- Boston Globe: 2020 Top 100 Women-Led Businesses in Massachusetts
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2019
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2019 – 2nd Best Safari Lodge in Africa, 5th Best Hotel in the World (Gibb’s Farm)
- Boston Globe: 2019 Top 100 Women-Led Businesses in Massachusetts
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2018 – Best Safari Lodge in Africa, Top 20 Best Hotels in the World (Gibb’s Farm)
- Boston Globe: 2018 Top 100 Women-Led Businesses in Massachusetts
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2017
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2017 – Best Safari Lodge in Africa, 5th Best Hotel in the World (Gibb’s Farm)
- Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards 2016
- Condé Nast Traveler World’s 50 Best Hotels List 2016 (Gibb’s Farm)
- First Generation Business Award 2014
- Hall of Fame Active Travel Award 2012
- Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth