Tanzanian Food: Orange and Tomato Soup Recipe
Curious about what you’ll eat while on safari in Tanzania? Along with fresh fruits and vegetables, main courses like chicken, beef, and vegetarian dishes, soup is a staple on the safari menu.
Our guests can’t stop raving about the soups we serve for dinner in our Nyumba safari camps. The orange and tomato soup is a favorite of both guests and camp chefs, including Nyumba camp chef Rebecca Maronde. This Tanzanian recipe is easy enough to make at home, and full of fresh citrus flavors that will have you yearning for cool nights in the Serengeti. Pair with a piece of crusty bread for a light supper.
Orange and Tomato Soup Recipe
¼ cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
⅓ cup flour
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 cup orange juice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
½ orange peel
1 tablespoon orange marmalade
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ cup cream
Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in large soup pan, add onion and garlic. Stir over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes until onions are soft.
2. Stir in flour. Continue stirring mixture over medium for 3-5 minutes, until floor begins to cook.
Add tomato paste and stir for 5-10 seconds until combined.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in the water, stock and orange juice
4. Return to heat and stir continuously until mixture begins to boil
5. Add to the tomatoes, orange peel, orange marmalade, bay leaf, brown sugar and salt and pepper
Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. When soup is ready, mash up the tomatoes in the soup mixture with a large fork or potato masher.
Strain the soup through a large sieve and discard the excess tomato pulp, bay leaf, and orange peel.
7. After the soup is strained, stir in cream and chopped parsley, and serve.